Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Monitor is electrifying my computer case?

My computer is not plugged in, however, when I plug in the monitor to my computer, the computer case becomes electrified and gives me a continuous shock when I touch it.





I touched the mettle parts of the LCD monitor (i.e. screws on back and VESA mounts) and the tip of DVI cord but I didn't get any direct shocks from the monitor.





I didn't know this was possible. At first I thought maybe my motherboard wasn't grounded properly (I just received my computer in Jordan from being shipped from the US so I thought maybe a screw was loose) but when I unplugged the PSU and the shock continued I realized it was coming from the monitor. I unplugged the monitor and the shock eventually disappeared as the the case was slowly discharged from me touching the case.





I live in Jordan so checking the ground on the monitor is out of the question. There is no grounding here. The cord has what I believe to be ground receptacles on the side of the end of the cord but there isn't anything that I can plug into that has matching mettle sensors to receive the ground (I have seen them in some buildings but not in my apartment).





Does anyone have any other suggestions?Monitor is electrifying my computer case?
You can use negative as your ground! :) Just rewire the cable if you are feeling brave





It鈥檚 likely your apartment actually grounds out the negative anyways as its common in under developed areas (even in the US).





This might be crude but I have worked in areas that I have had to do things like this. Personally i would tape or screw a little wire from the case to a metal or copper water pipe in the building, though if that doesn鈥檛 work everyone will be shocked a little when they try turn on the water (like touching your case), which in its self may be worth it.





Extra:


i gave you 2 options :)





Both should work fine, if you don鈥檛 know what the negative is don鈥檛 rip cord apart and start connecting wires!





The main objective is to make it ground on something else besides you, so a radiator or something else should work. I picked the metal piping for the sink because it will always have a good ground. This is comon sense to me to its hard to explaine it to some one else.
  • north face book bags
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment